I watched my Dad become confined to a bed with the inability to do most anything without assistance. It is through his struggles that I found passion to inspire people to not take their lives for granted. Many like my father suffer from diseases that prevent them from climbing mountains, walking on the beach, or going for a bicycle ride. I’m dedicated to encouraging and inspiring people to challenge themselves physically, regardless of their limitations. Join me today; let’s do this together in the name of those who can only dream of doing what we can do. Today is the day to overcome our own limitations. #BecauseYouCan
Staying Active: Introduction
Although there are no sure-fire recipes for good health, the mixture of healthy eating and regular exercise comes awfully close. Most of The Nutrition Source is dedicated to singing the praises of a good diet. This is where physical activity gets its due.
Regular exercise or physical activity helps many of the body’s systems function better, keeps heart disease, diabetes, and a host of other diseases at bay, and is a key ingredient for losing weight. According to the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, (1) being physically active on a regular basis
- Improves your chances of living longer and living healthier
- Helps protect you from developing heart disease and stroke or its precursors, high blood pressure and undesirable blood lipid patterns
- Helps protect you from developing certain cancers, including colon and breast cancer, and possibly lung and endometrial (uterine lining) cancer
- Helps prevent type 2 diabetes (what was once called adult-onset diabetes) and metabolic syndrome (a constellation of risk factors that increases the chances of developing heart disease and diabetes; read more about simple steps to prevent diabetes)
- Helps prevent the insidious loss of bone known as osteoporosis
- Reduces the risk of falling and improves cognitive function among older adults
- Relieves symptoms of depression and anxiety and improves mood
- Prevents weight gain, promotes weight loss (when combined with a lower-calorie diet), and helps keep weight off after weight loss
- Improves heart-lung and muscle fitness
- Improves sleep
If you or anyone you know would like more information on our programs or how you can help please contact us. We would love to hear from you.